Visit TAFA's new site!

Nejiribana - spiralling flower designs




I create one of a kind hand embroideries using kimono silk and flat silk thread.  Pieces can take anything from 30 or so hours to over 300 (embroidery time) to complete.

I am a graduate authorised tutor of the Japanese Embroidery Center, Atlanta (the only centre for JE outside Japan) and am currently their only teacher in the NW of England.  I am enjoying bringing Japanese embroidery to a new generation of embroiderers in the UK.  I also sell vintage Japanese fabric in my Etsy shop.

I have only just started exhibiting my work here in the UK - I hope that joining TAFA will bring my work to a wider audience.


Artist's Statement:  I consider myself to be both artist and craftswoman.

All my pieces are created by hand following the way of NUIDO and its three aspects: the acquisition of technical skills and knowledge, the development of artistic sensitivity and awareness, and understanding the spiritual aspects of shishu.

I will always consider myself to be a student of 'nuido' - the way of embroidery, I aim to continue to develop and improve my skills and knowledge as long as I am able to embroider.

"The hands are the exit of the spirit."
- Master Iwao Saito


Location: Lancashire, United Kingdom
Online shop: nejiribana
Languages spoken: English




"Yo-yo San", Japanese Embroidery by Jane Smith

















Tags: embroidery, Japan, silk, kimono, art, design, retail, handmade



No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails