Visit TAFA's new site!

Studio Art Quilts by Valerie S. Goodwin

www.quiltsbyvalerie.com



I am an architect and an artist who creates fiber art inspired by realistic and abstract imagery of maps.

I am interested in making connections with other fiber artists and people involved in fine arts & crafts. I would love to procure commissions in public and corporate settings. In addition, I do workshops and lectures on various topics related to quilting, architecture, maps and design.   I have a studio at Railroad Square, an art park in Tallahassee, Fl.

Artist's statement:  I am fascinated by the language of lines, shapes and pattern. I am drawn to what I perceive to be the symbols and language found in maps and architectural drawings. Many works of art such as the paintings of Franz Kline, Jackson Pollock and Robert Motherwell inspire me.

Maps use symbols such as points, lines, patterns, and color to convey information. As a child I was fascinated by maps, spending hours poring over them, sometimes being intrigued by their beauty. Later on, I noted how architects and other design professional use "maps" to communicate information to contractors, clients, the public and many other audiences.  When I began to make art quilts I was intrigued by aerial views of places. Then I began to refer to my books on urban planning and site plans of places that interested me. Gradually, I narrowed my focus to maps of real and imagined places.

My work is noted for its use of color, emphasis on line and density. My quilts are part of a continuing investigation of ideas that focus on geometrical relationships, patterns and ordering principles found in architecture. I try to convey these ideas abstractly, through the use of collage, layering, transparency, density and improvisation.

Currently, I teach architectural design classes at Florida A&M University's School of Architecture.  I received a Masters degree in architecture from Washington University in St. Louis after receiving an undergraduate degree from Yale University. My work has been widely published and exhibited. I have also lectured and given workshops across the country.

Location:  Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Online store: Quilts by Valerie
Memberships: 
  Fiber Artists Collective
  Studio Art Quilts Association
  Studio Fiber Artists
Languages spoken: English



 "African Burial Ground" by Valerie S. Goodwin












Tags: art quilts, map quilts, cartography, architecture, design, art, workshops, commissions

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails