Visit TAFA's new site!

Constance Rose




I have been working in textiles since the early 1970s. Beginning as a custom clothing designer, my fiber career has included knitting, crochet, embroidery, papermaking, spinning, dyeing, weaving and now, surface design and studio quilting.


Artist's Statement:  Texture excites me – both the way fiber surfaces feel to the touch, and the visual orchestration of pattern, color, line, shape and form. As a surface designer, I am highly intrigued with the serendipitious patterns created on fabric by dyeing, printing and discharging.  The foundations of my studio quilting are working with wholecloth fabrics, or with stitched raw-edge appliqued fabrics -- all my own hand dyed, painted, printed, shiboried, discharged or digitally printed fabrics.  I am fascinated with overall graphic patterns that make a statement or have a bold presence.  I lean toward muted colors and asymmetrical shapes that evoke the organic natural world.

My inspirations include the natural world, the florescence of Art Nouveau and Victoriana, the stylized and repetitive geometrics of Art Deco and ancient Egyptian designs, Native American and ethnic tribal patterns, and the Arts & Crafts and Craftsman styles in functional and decorative arts and architecture.

My current focus is creating Studio Quilts -- non-traditional small quilts of varying sizes -- utilizing hand dyed, painted, printed and shiboried fabrics, and digital images printed  on fabric.


Location:  Fortuna, California, USA
Online shops:
   constancerosedesigns   (Etsy)
   constance rose textile sales
   constancerosedesigns
  (website)
Blogs:
   constancerosedesigns
   constancerosetextilesales
   collagejourney
   texturalimages

   beegeecat
Memberships: SDA, SAQA
Languages spoken: English




Something to Celebrate, Studio Art Quilt by Constance Rose, 2011














Tags:  surface design, shibori, hand dyeing, studio quilting


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the fold, dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Constance, I LOVE your work. I do fine art painting son silk but have recently been playing with screen printing on silk and I am hooked!!!!! I was drooling over items in your Etsy shop!!!! Hope you will stop by and visit my TAFA page.

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails