Visit TAFA's new site!

MegWeaves



I am a self-taught handweaver in Nelson, New Zealand. 

I grew up watching my mother knit, sew and embroider lovely things for me, all the while being told the one thing she longed to do was to weave. So I came to think of weaving as the ultimate craft. She started weaving when she was 60.  I had a few false starts, but hunkered down and got serious in 2004, when I left my last job and realized nobody was expecting me to turn up at the office the next morning.   

People I know, the things they make, the stories they tell, and the places I lived (Yokohama, Japan, Minneapolis, and Auckland, New Zealand) inform my work.  I, in return, make cloth that bring back those memories and experiences.  In doing so, I like to use New Zealand merino when I can as texture/hand is of utmost importance in my work, particularly items that wrap your face and neck.  But I also enjoy being a citizen of Plant Earth and am open to any fiber of great texture. I weave with cashmere from Inner Mongolia and cotton from Italy and Korea as well.

Currently I weave mainly scarves and shawls, but I hope to also weave yardage, as well as to make objets d’art.
-Meg Nakagawa



Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Blogs:
   MegWeaves
   Kirehashi
(Japanese)
   JP.MegWeaves (website in Japanese)
Languages spoken: English, Japanese




Handwoven scarf by Meg Nakagawa











Tags: New Zealand, Japan, Minnesota, weaving, shawls, scarves, exhibition, commission,  yardage  

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails