Visit TAFA's new site!

Jane Porter


I am an independent fashion designer, lover of textiles, a weaver, spinner and dyer (natural dyes). I love to create unique accessories with unusual fabrics. I am of Armenian heritage and often incorporate vintage textiles from my grandmothers in my work. I also love collage and working with dry mineral pigments, which allows me to experiment with many different mediums.

The Pre-Raphaelites played a large part in shaping my outlook, as I was an English major in college. I also love cats, big and small, especially Siamese.

Many things inspire me--people who do their best at whatever they do; the art, music and crafts of different cultures; beautiful plants, trees flowers and shells. I enjoy collaborating with other artists and like the energy that is exchanged.

Mission:  To explore, promote and create interesting, beautiful, and cutting edge textiles using natural fibers, pigments and dyes.



 
Embroidered Tulle Scarf by Jane Porter


Location: Chadds Ford, PA and Hamilton, NY  (USA)
Online stores: Jane TexCat, Tangled Lair, Vintage Siamese
Brick and mortar: Porter Studios and Fine Arts Gallery  
Blog: Porter Studios
Other social media:  Flickr 
Memberships:  Philadelphia Guild of Handweavers
Languages spoken: English















Tags: textile, silk, vintage kimono, handwoven, handknit, handspun, fiber, fabric, natural dyes, felted


.

1 comment:

  1. Wild, yes, but elegant too. I didn't know those two could go together, but they do! I especially love the sweater with the ruffles, and the brown slinky slip-dress with the grayed-aqua patterning. Tres chic.

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails