Visit TAFA's new site!

Carol Larson




I come from a long line of fiber folk. In celebrating my collective heritage of weavers, quilters and seamstresses, I incorporate vintage remnants into my work. It is invigorating to bring life back to forgotten linens with dyes, paint and stitch. No tea towel, dinner napkin, table linen nor dishtowel is too precious for my dyepot!

I also integrate commercial fabrics of my own design into my work. I apply multiple layers of dye, selective dye removal and screen-printing with original imagery from photos of my travels. Where others see landscape, history or structure, I see pattern, texture and inspiration. A path of oval rocks from a Japanese garden, a jute window covering, ancient cave dwellings, a kelp forest, even the dripping prep work of house-painting have all become screens through which I have pulled paint and dye. Layers of stitching, and often more paint complete each piece.


Artist's Statement: My award-winning work is in the corporate collection of The James Irvine Foundation in San Francisco, CA as well as many private collections in the US and abroad. I have exhibited in museums & galleries world-wide, curated exhibits, taught design process, been published in various textile publications and self-published the Tall-Girl Series: A Body of Work. I am an active member of the ACCI Gallery in Berkeley, CA , Petaluma Open Studios and of several professional art organizations.


Location: Petaluma, California, USA
Blog: Live to Dye
Social Media: LinkedIn
Memberships:
Textile Arts Council
Studio Art Quilts Association
Surface Design Association
Languages spoken: English


Currents #8, 30” x 30” by Carol Larson









Tags: textile art, textile artist, hand-dyed, vintage, surface design, surface designer, dye, paint, innovative, ochre

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carol - Welcome to the TAFA list. Are you on FB?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read Carol's story on Fiber Focus: http://fiberfocus.blogspot.com/2010/08/tafa-members-talk-carol-larson.html

    She has found healing through writing and through her quilts. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails