Visit TAFA's new site!

Chandra Stubbs



I have been a professional artist since 1997.  I travel all over the United States showing my work at juried exhibitions, fine artand fine craft shows.

My formal training is mostly in ceramic arts, but my love of textile and the process of needle felting has brought about my new body of work "porcelain + felt".  I was introduced to the world of fiber by my sister Heather.  She is a veterinarian and very successful Shetland sheep breeder. Windswept Farms is the ideal place to fall in love with the process of sheering, dying, spinning, weaving, and felting, and I did!

Working with the wool has been a rejuvenating experience for me in the studio. I work very spontaneously, creating each piece specifically for each porcelain ring or grouping. I create the felt from Merino rovings, cut designs, and build my fabric as I needle felt layers of color and texture.  I enjoy the contrast of working with the dry wool and am still in awe of the process.

All of my porcelain is hand made. Large rings are thrown on the wheel. Smaller rings are extruded and hand sliced and finished. I use a clear Celadon glaze and fire the clay to cone 9.  I like the way the porcelain frames my felt.  There is a real familiarity in the combination of the two mediums that I can not explain. 

The whole body of work is still young. I am still exploring and learning.  I expect great growth and look forward to things that come!

You can find my work at Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, Mi. and the Jill Underhill Gallery, Harbert, Mi.
Visit with me in person and see my work at various art and craft shows across the country. My web site has my current show calendar.

Location: Sawyer, Michigan, USA
Memberships/Links: The Craft Council, Wind Swept Farms
Languages spoken: English, some Spanish

 
"Acorns" by Chandra Stubbs





Chandra Stubbs on Facebook



Tags:  felt wall art, ceramic wall art, felt bowl, decorative felt, ceramic + felt, porcelain + felt, felt and ceramic, felt and porcelain

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails