Visit TAFA's new site!

Quilted Fiber Art by Gwen

I like making quilted artwork pieces from postcards to wall hangings. Included in the variety, I make traditional hand-quilted bed quilts, hand bags and whatever else I take a notion to try making, as long as it's sewing and or quilted related.

Artist Statement:  I get a lot of inspiration in my own backyard; from the flower gardens, the kids playing and romping in the yard, hubby tilling the garden, when the fields are plowed, or nature having her way in any season of the year...

There's always an eye-opener when one learns to see the way an artist sees, something I am continually learning.

-Gwen Gwinner



Location: Willard, Ohio, USA
Online store: Quilt Studio Ohio
Social Media: Connecting Threads
Languages spoken: English



"He Loves the Land" by Gwen Gwinner












Tags: artworks, quilted artworks, fabric artist, fiber artist, hand-quilting, portraits, people, religious, nature, floral

2 comments:

  1. The first one is so creative, what an inspiring work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen has quilted and threadpainted two of my mosaic art quilts. One of the quilts was returned to me by a Curator (Dr Carolyn Mazloomi) because one of my thousands of pieces of fused fabrics fell off! The quilt was destined for Japan. Unfortunately, it did not make the trip.

    In a quarry and inexperienced with free motion quilting, I was devastated and did not know what to do. I remembered that I had a on-line friend that had given me tips on how to threadpaint. I decided to ask Gwen if she would be able to finish this quilt. The curator was holding a space for me in a museum, once the quilts were returned from Japan.

    I sent the quilt to Gwen and she beautifully stitched all of my tiny pieces in place and did not change the image, if you see the photograph you would be amazed! She used many different colors of threads and matched my quilt perfectly. It is as though she took my hands and guided me to finish this quilt. I gave her no directions and she did just what I imagined, but could not relay to her! She gave life and longevity to my quilts. She also added the backing, binding and sleeve. I was so elated, it took all of my restraint to hold back sobs. Tears flowed as I packed the quilt and sent it to it's destination. It has now joined the quilts from Japan is is showing in the Ohio Historical Society until Decembr 2010. I could not have my quilt exhibited without her devine hands. She is an awesome woman and quilt artist!

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails