Visit TAFA's new site!

Cindy Grisdela Art Quilts

"Playing with Colors" by Cindy Grisdela


I'm a fiber artist specializing in abstract contemporary quilts for the wall. I'm particularly interested in color and the way colors interact with each other to enhance our experience of the world. Many of my designs draw on the traditions of the past, but reinterpret them in a contemporary way, reflecting the fact that I started out many years ago with traditional patterns and techniques.

In the last decade, I  began to feel the need to create my own designs so the fiber art I made would be truly mine. Since then, my work has been shown in local and regional shows in the Washington, DC area, as well as nationally in venues from New York to California. I'm thrilled when one of my pieces speaks to someone else so they want to live with it in their home or office. My work is represented in a number of private collections, including a recent work commissioned by a collector for a contemporary home in Hollywood Hills, CA. I sell my work through my website, as well as at the Potomac Fiber Arts Gallery at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA and The Artisans shop in McLean, VA.

Artist's Statement: Creating art quilts is thrilling because I never know exactly what the design is going to look like until the piece is finished. Because there’s no pattern to follow, seeing the interplay of color and design on the design wall in my studio is integral to my creative process. Often the initial design idea is only faintly recognizable at the end because the choices of fabric, color and design interact in unexpected ways as the piece emerges. I like to use fabric the way a painter might use paint to create a mood, develop a contrast, or explore an idea. Once the top design is pieced, I add dimension to my work by quilting the layers together with whimsical free motion quilting—a process similar to drawing with a needle and thread.

Location: Great Falls, Virginia, USA
Online store: website
Blog: Cindy Grisdela
Memberships: Studio Art Quilt Associates
     Potomac Fiber Art Gallery
     Great Falls Studios
Languages spoken: English


"Color My World" by Cindy Grisdela












Tags:  art quilts, contemporary quilts, abstract, color study, fiber art, textile art, improvisation, handstitching

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails