Visit TAFA's new site!

Valerie Hearder

and
 
My love of textiles was formed in the exotic markets of South Africa where I was born.  I've been making quilts for 35 years and cloth as a medium for women's voice has been my abiding passion. 

I have exhibited in the USA, Japan, UK, Europe and South Africa. Landscapes are one of my specialities and I authored 2 books on applique landscapes, "Beyond the Horizon" (C&T) and "Points of View" (Martingale). I've taught quilting extensively including for the International Quilt Festival since 1988.  Some of my highlights were to be included in Nihon Vogue's book, 88 Quilt Leaders of the World and to exhibit in Thirty Distinguished Quiltmakers of the World in Tokyo Dome, Japan, a show curated by Mary Leman and Robert Shaw. 

My life is made rich by the textile community and sharing in it.


Mission:  African Threads, my fair trade company, grew from my passion for the art of the stitch, its story-telling magic and its power to heal women's lives. I grew up in South Africa and I want to make a difference in the lives of women facing the HIV/AIDS pandemic in that country. 15% of the profits from the sale of textiles and beadwork made by women's groups in South Africa is donated to the "Grandmother-to-Grandmother" campaign run by the Stephen Lewis Foundation.




Location:  Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada
Online stores:   
   africanthreads  
   africanthreads   (Etsy)
Blog:  Thread Link   
Memberships:  SAQA, Canadian Quilter
Facebook Fan Page
Languages spoken:  English  
















Tags:  economic development, fair-trade, hand embroidery, folk art, beadwork, jewellery, applique, bead dolls, grandmothers, orphans


.

1 comment:

  1. Visit Rayela's Fiber Focus for an interview with Valerie:

    http://fiberfocus.blogspot.com/2010/08/tafa-members-talk-valerie-hearder-of.html

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails