Visit TAFA's new site!

Gerrie Congdon

Scorched Earth  25" X 20" by Gerrie Congdon

I am a life long textile addict. I have been sewing clothing and items for my home since I can remember. But quilting? I tried it once in the seventies and walked away. It was much too tedious and labor intensive for me.

When I retired, I had a desire to let the inner artist out. I discovered art quilting. I could continue my addiction to fabric, not worry about points and matching seams, and the end result was a beautiful work of art.

My work uses bold color combinations. I love working in the abstract and am greatly influenced by elements from nature. My work is often collaged and fused as I love playing with shapes and colors in a painterly way. I dye and paint my own fabric and love experimenting with surface design such as shibori resists, screenprinting, discharging, stenciling and monoprinting.

Sunset Composition  18" X 18" by Gerrie Congdon

Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Blogs:
http://gericondesigns.com/weblog/ 

http://twelveby12.blogspot.com/

Memberships and Links of Note:
Languages spoken:  English

 




Tags: art quilt, thermofax screens, textile art, surface design, abstract landscape, handstitching, shibori, fiber artist, hand-dyed fabrics


.

1 comment:

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails