Visit TAFA's new site!

Susan Fennell / Oriba Shibori



I am a textile artist principally working in shibori and indigo dye.  I dye silk scarves, furoshiki (Japanese wrapping cloths) and other cloth items that reference Japan.  For 10 years I taught Japanese language in a Raleigh, NC high school. Through the Artists in Schools program I’ve taught Japanese textile arts across North Carolina. Currently, I teach classes at a non-profit center for the arts, Artspace, in downtown Raleigh.

I studied art at the Maryland Institute in Baltimore, MD and textiles at Meredith College in Raleigh, NC.  In 2001, I was awarded the Leonard White award by Miriam Schapiro during a juried exhibition at Meredith College.

Artist's Statement:  My textile work references childhood years in Kagoshima, Japan where my neighbors dyed threads in indigo and wove them in long swaths for kimono. The colors, patterns and other imagery reflected in my work are an exploration of that experience integrating language and surface design.


Location:  Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Online shop: sfennell
Blog:  Ito de/ By Thread 
Memberships: Threads - a local textile study group in Raleigh
Languages spoken: English and Japanese 


"Two Bottles", shibori dyeing by Susan Fennell












Tags: Textile art, fiber art, shibori, indigo dyeing, aizome shibori, shiborizome, surface design, silk, cotton, linen, rayon, Japanese textiles, scarves, furoshiki

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails