Visit TAFA's new site!

Marion Coleman Textiles & Mixed Media

"Hot Flash", Art Quilt by Marion Coleman



As a textile and mixed media artist I enjoy making public art, teaching and working on community projects.  I am particularly interested in creating work addressing themes about women, aging, memory,  history and other social themes.    Much of my work is representational but I also enjoy working with bold colors and ethnic fabrics.

Artist's Statement:  For over thirty years I  worked in youth and family services and during the last two decades I have combined this experience with fiber, stitching and color to create work that explores color, memory, social change and community. 

As a youngster I was taught to sew and crochet by my grandmother.  That learning was the beginning of my art making which has now led to designing and fabricating contemporary quilts and mixed media art.  I continue to use a variety of fibers, threads, paper, paint and found objects to present ideas that interest me. My work is both color and concept driven.    I combine established strip piecing techniques associated with African American quilts but may include extensive stitching, slashing, burning, paper, paint, plastic, beads, buttons, recycled materials or just about anything that strikes my fancy. I continue to add to my collection of old photos as I explore memory, history and culture.  In addition to the early influences of the women quilters in my family I have also been drawn to the work of numerous  artist/story quilters. 

I am presently working on a jazz series as a secondary thread to my portrait series about women over 50. 


Location:  Castro Valley, California, USA
Online shop: Marion Coleman
Blog: Marion Coleman
Memberships:
   American Craft Council
   Studio Art Quilt Associates
   Surface Design Association
Languages spoken: English




 "Neighborhood Watch", Memory Series
Art Quilt by Marion Coleman





Tags:  public art, portraits, representational art, art quilts, community, recycled


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails