Visit TAFA's new site!

Dee Mallon





I am an improv quilter who uses a lot of upcycled clothes and home decorator fabrics in my wall hangings.  Sometimes I incorporate photo-transferred images.  Over the years, I have made quite a few commissions, and especially enjoy making quilts for special occasions.  My work has taken me into elementary and pre-schools, and many of my favorite moments over the last ten years has been making collaborative quilts with young children.

Artist's Statement:  I am a collagist at heart and work improvisationally.   I like to work on the floor, moving chunks around and constructing as I go.  I am enamored with machine quilting and tend to apply it densely -- even a small quilt can take several hours or days to complete.   I like my quilts to tell a story and the narratives in print fabrics often are what make that possible.  More and more, I am adding hand quilting to my pieces, which means I am getting more and more interested in both neatly tucked under applique AND raw edges.


Location:  Newton, Massachusetts, USA
Online shop:  Cloth Company
Blog:  deemallon
Groups: Slow Cloth on facebook; Quilters Connection guild
Languages spoken: English








Tags:  "fiber art", celebration quilts, quilt, hand stitching, machine quilting, grief quilts, recycled, shirts, dolls, totems, felt, "pin cushions", pillows, heirloom textiles, vintage, silk, linen, doily, global warming, houses, felt houses, boro, installations

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails