Visit TAFA's new site!

Wooly Boulevard




Working with wool rovings set me on a journey that started by learning to wet-felt a perfectly round, solid bead.  Soon, I was stringing beads together into jewellry, and adding embellishments, incorporating single needle felted yarn as well as glass and metal beads.  

Graduating to flat felting allowed me to incorporate my old embroidery and crewel techniques. Every creation has taught me something new, both technically and aesthetically.  I now find myself thinking in terms of much bigger pieces, incorporating more detail and other materials.  

Through this new group of gifted artisans I hope to gain the encouragement and mentorship I need to progress to the next stage in this wonderful uncharted adventure.


Artist's statement:  Like so many others, I was brave and comfortable about my creativity when I was younger, but misplaced that understanding as I became an adult.  A diagnosis of cancer re-ignited my passion through a wonderful program called Art as Medicine, offered by our regional cancer care facility to patients, health care professionals, and their supporting friends and family. I had been a professional musician, and re-discovered my love of singing through the vocal music program, but also my love of creating things with my hands.  I am deeply involved now in building a cancer wellness and support facility called Wellspring that will supplement our overburdened cancer care system, where I hope  to help others touched by cancer to express their feelings through arts-based programming.



Location:  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Online shop:  woolyboulevard
Social Media:  TwitterPinterest
Memberships:
Languages spoken:  English



Needle-Felted Brooch by Wooly Boulevard











Tags:  Felted wool bracelets, necklaces, brooches and framed flat-felted vignettes

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails