Visit TAFA's new site!

Mary Pal Designs






My passion for fiber art and my love of texture has led me to creating portraits using cheesecloth.  It brings me such pleasure to meet people who want to collect my work, to enjoy it in their homes.  I also enjoy teaching fiber art students how to use my technique to create their own pieces.


Artist's statement:  Sculpting a portrait in wet cheesecloth is a slow process, and in the act of creation, I develop a relationship to the figure as I work on the features and contemplate the line of a mouth, a raised eyebrow, creases around the eyes. The positive and negative space created by light and shadow, and how these can be depicted through the contrast of cheesecloth over a dark background, intrigue me. 


Location:  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Memberships:  
   Board member, Studio Art Quilt Associates
   Member, Surface Design Association
Social Media:  LinkedIn
Languages spoken:  Canuck  (English) 



"Memories of Gombe", Jane Goodall Art Quilt by Mary Pal


"Nereids", Textile by Mary Pal Designs



"Homeless Love"  Cheesecloth Textile by Mary Pal






Tags:  cheesecloth, portraits, fiber art, art quilts, textile art

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a you tube tutorial on how to begin this process? I so want to learn. My email is ....dianebaby2010@gmail.com and my face book is cissy bouget. Would love to hear from you. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails