Visit TAFA's new site!

The Rainbow Girl

Contemporary Blue 'broderie anglais' (detail)
I learnt to dye my own fabrics and threads when studying for my City and Guilds level 3 diploma in Embroidery. I loved using them so much that I decided to sell some of them to other like minded people.

I now dye a variety of  cotton fabrics, viscose/wool felt, embroidery threads, silk carrier rods and lace to sell to other embroiderers and textile/fibre artists from my shop on Etsy. I find the combinations of colours which occur during the dyeing process, absolutely fascinating and always get a thrill when I see the results of a dyeing session!


Artist statement:  The colours of my fabrics and threads are one of the inspirations for my own embroideries.  I am also fascinated by vintage textiles and embroidery techniques, such as 'broderie anglais', and am exploring contemporary ways of using traditional methods.  I prefer hand embroidery, but am challenging myself to use more free machine embroidery, and also enjoy patchwork and quilting.

I belong to a group of textile artists called NINE, and am currently working towards an exhibition inspired by the sculptures in the Gibberd Garden in Harlow.

-Sarah Hopping





Location: 
Bishop's Stortford, England, United Kingdom
Online shop:  therainbowgirl
Blog:  Rainbow Dreams
Other social media:  Twitter
Membership:  Embroiderers' Guild
Languages spoken:  English



Hand dyed cotton scrim - blue sky, gray clouds by The Rainbow Girl















Tags:  hand embroidery, fabric, thread, hand dyed, colour, texture, stitch, knit, embellishment, quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails