Visit TAFA's new site!

Eileen Doughty / Doughty Designs

"Tree Tea", Sculptural Threadwork by Doughty Designs



Studio fiber artist.  I create free-standing three-dimensional fiber art made of thread (once I realized I loved thread so much, I figured out how to drop out the fabric).   I also create landscape art quilts (with lots of threadwork). 

I founded Doughty Designs in 1991 and have been creating commissioned work in the textile medium ever since.  From 2002-06 I was a regional co-representative for Studio Art Quilts Associates and am now the Website Coordinator. I have taught and lectured on various aspects of art quilts in several states.  My work is in private, public, and corporate collections, and has been exhibited on five continents. 

My work is available at Potomac Fiber Arts Gallery  (Alexandria, Virginia), Mobilia Gallery  (Cambridge, Massachusetts), and at the Contemporary Art Center of Virginia's Museum Shop (Virginia Beach, Virginia).

Artist's statement:  I love the concept of ""place"" and so my preferred subject matter is the landscape.  Often my inspiration (and sometimes even my materials) comes from the trees I know so well, in my own yard and neighborhood. Currently my work focuses on exploring what makes fiber art so unique: texture, freedom of shape of the ""canvas,"" and employing three rather than two dimensions.

After creating art quilts for many years, particularly utilizing thread-sketching techniques to ""draw"" on the surface, I came to realize that I love thread even more than I love fabric.  This led to my exploration of machine-stitching sculptural objects made only of thread.


Location:  Vienna, Virginia, USA
Memberships:  
Languages:  English, American Sign Language



"Maple Basket", Sculptural Threadwork by Doughty Designs












Tags:  fiber art, thread sculpture, three-dimensional fiber, teapot, teapot set, bowl, vessel, stitched cotton thread, fine art, Doughty Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails