Visit TAFA's new site!

Meg Black Handmade Paper Paintings




I am a papermaker and art educator.  I am looking for opportunities to place my work in public and private settings as well as teach papermaking workshops in my studio and in other locations both nationally and internationally.  

My work can be found at the following galleries:   covegallery, lattitudegallery, and bostonartinc.


Artist statement
Inspiration:      
My work expresses my interests in nature and the environment.  When considering nature, I do not try to copy the natural world as I see it but, rather, as I feel it.  Moved by the natural light and organic shapes I observe in the places I visit seeking inspiration, I try to capture in my work the essence and mood of the place as well as to formulate a graphic interpretation of what I see. 

My environmental interests derive from the precarious condition of our planet and from my urgent desire to record the environment before it is too late.  By recording visually all that inspires me in the natural world, I attempt to document what beauty still exists, perhaps as a legacy for future generations.
I work with handmade paper for two reasons: (1) handmade paper has not been widely used as a painting medium, thus I am constantly discovering its potential and am challenged by its capacities, which allows me to be a pioneer in this exciting medium; and (2) the texture of pulp provides an almost three-dimensional quality to the painting’s surface, thus mimicking nature in all its splendor.

Technique:       
My paintings and wall reliefs are created exclusively from fibrous paper pulp: there is no “paint” of any kind on the surface.  Each work is pigmented with 100% pure, non-fading, acid-free pigments and is carefully treated so that it can be exhibited with or without glass.  My unique process and careful attention to craftsmanship provides a seductive, textured surface that lends itself to the natural subject matter of my work.
                  
Location:  Topsfield, Massachusetts, USA
Online shops:
Memberships:
Languages spoken:  English


"Northshore Scape", Paper Painting by Meg Black

















Tags:  Handmade paper, seascapes, wall reliefs, paper sculpture, Meg Black, painting, garden paintings, nature, contemporary landscapes, landscape painting

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails