Visit TAFA's new site!

Linda A. Miller




I am a fiber artist with a love of cloth, color, movement, texture…and the desire to share beauty with others.  I also have an ongoing community project:  The Bhavana Project, based on Tibetan prayer flags. Please visit!  The third set of flags is currently in progress.
Artist statement:  I came to quilt making in the 1990’s with a varied background in fine arts and textiles.  A love of fabric made the fiber arts medium an easy choice once I realized that drawing, painting or printmaking skills could be added to quilting.  The desire to slow down and feel the cloth beneath my fingers continually nudges me back to my roots in hand work, especially embroidery, which I incorporate into my pieces.  I thrive on the unpredictability of the art making process, and find manipulating the fabric surface with paint, water, heat or thread a wonderful way to play.  This layering technique stretches not only the cloth’s textural potential, but my creative visualization.   
My imagery is inspired by flowing water, the power of the sun, or the interplay between dynamic movement and stillness.  Inspiration is linked to being present in the moment.  For me, creative practice and meditation practice go hand in hand.  Both ground and nourish my journey of discovery.  In turn, I delight in sharing what I have learned with others so that they can also open to their unique creative voice.


Location:  Culver City, CA,  USA
Other social media:  LinkedIn
Memberships:  
   Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA)
   Surface Design Association
   Quilts on the Wall
Languages spoken:  English, some German



Fluid Fissure 2 by Linda A. Miller









Tags:  water, flow, sun, embroidered, paint, energy, hand work, prayer flags

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails