Visit TAFA's new site!

Kit Eastman




I am a textile artist from St. Paul, Minnesota. I make both functional and art textiles, hand painted in the Japanese tradition of katazome (paste resist stencil dyeing), using a palette of natural pigments and dyes on linen, cotton, silk and sometimes paper. My work celebrates daily meetings with the wild birds, plants, and lake breezes of my local urban surroundings.

My decorative and functional works (i.e. pillows and runners) are created in small batches, and each item is a unique variation of my original design. I also create one-of-a kind katazome works for the wall. In addition, I am open to custom commission work. For example, I can work with homeowners and/or interior designers who want to decorate a home or public space with a unique, nature-inspired art textile.

Katazome techniques can be applied to any natural fiber woven fabric, from sheer silks to heavier weight wools, linens, hemps and cottons. Please contact me if you are interested in learning more about what is possible!



Artist statement:  Natural forms draw me in on daily walks around the small lake near my home. I am captivated by the patterns and cycles I observe in plants, water, birds and seasons. These familiar landscapes, as well as the interior terrain of thought, memory and imagination inspire my work.

Since January of 2009, I have focused exclusively on the materials, tools and techniques of katazome, which inspire me almost as much as my subject matter! The centuries-old technique incorporates elements of both printmaking and painting, and relies on simple non-toxic materials such as rice paste resist, natural pigments and dyes, and soymilk. It is an elegant process with relevance for the contemporary artist who strives to work with a minimum impact on the environment.

As my work enters the stream of daily life, those who use and enjoy it will be reminded of the beauty of nature. In sharing with my audience how the work was made, I hope to inspire appreciation of this inventive, robust, and earth-friendly Japanese textile tradition.


Location:  St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Online shop:  SilverMinnow
Blog:  kiteastman
Memberships:
   Surface Design Association
   Textile Center of Minnesota
   American Crafts Council
Languages spoken:  English


Katazome textile by Kit Eastman















Tags:  natural dye, hand painted, linen, silk, katazome, Japanese, bird, plant, home decor, stencil

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails