Visit TAFA's new site!

Brenda Abdullah




I am an artist joyfully striving to live out the fullness of my creative self. After raising a large family,  I am finally at the point in life in which all of my waking time can be spent on creating or thinking about making beautiful and practical clothing from uncommon resources.

I've been a lover of arts and crafts since childhood . As a young adult, I attended various  art schools and later graduated with a B.S. in Arts and Crafts.  I honed all of my self taught sewing skills, while working  my own business as a custom dressmaker for about 25 years. Today  my two passions, art and sewing,  have been fused together.  I  now create and sell one of a kind wearable art and accessories from my Etsy shop, Brendaabdullah.etsy.com. I also  participate in several yearly art shows in the Chicago land area.

Most of my garments are the result of an organic design process in which the colors and the textures of the selected materials dictate the design. I may have a general idea of the shape or form, however the details and end results are always a pleasant surprise to me. This freedom is extremely gratifying and inspires me to do it again and again. Positive feedback from customers make the whole process even more rewarding.

For me, I find a unique advantage of using pre-owned clothing in the creation of my designs. There are endless possibilities in fabric variety and a basic practicality of reusing materials already available. That only adds to the rewarding benefits of  doing the work that I love.

Artist's statement:  I am an Eco-conscious artist/designer of high quality one-of-a-kind wearable art using re-purposed clothing. Through the use of gently used clothing and vintage textiles, I bring together fashionable silhouettes with artistic fabric collage and coloration. Each garment is a study of color and textural relationships and stands as a testament of my love for beautiful textiles no matter from where they were originally derived.


Location:  Chicago, Illinois, United States
Online shop:  brendaabdullah 
Languages spoken:  English




Sweater Coat by Chicago Clothing Designer,
Brenda Abdullah

 












Tags:  reconstructed sweaters, sweater coats, repurposed clothing,wearable art, patchwork scarves,  fingerless gloves, knit tunics, accessories

1 comment:

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails