Visit TAFA's new site!

Terri Pike






I'm a self taught felter, with an emphasis on nuno felting.  I have taught friends how to felt, and started a tutorial website for learning the basics.  I did it because I enjoy it so immensely and I want people to have as much fun as I'm having! 

When I first tried finding info on nuno felting online, I had little luck, so my videos are for those ambitious people out there who want to teach themselves.  It is a fairly new way of felting so I can really stretch the limits of my imagination on what can be accomplished.  Not everything has been done to death with nuno felting, so inventing new looks is so satisfying because it hasn't been seen before.   I try at least one experimental thing with each piece I create.   I look at other art for color combinations, and ways of really trying to TRANSLATE it into my medium.   I once did a wet felted wall hanging of a painting of a photograph!

I take a lot of time and plan each piece carefully because the best part is having it turn out in an unexpected way.

A little background on Nuno Felting:

Nuno means “fabric” in Japanese (this is not a Japanese technique, it was invented by an American woman named Polly Sterling) so adding any fabric to a wet felting piece is considered nuno felting.

The fabric is laid out and a layer of loose wool is arranged on top and/or bottom.   It is then rolled up in a plastic bundle and rolled on a table for roughly an hour or two.  The wool literally migrates directly through the fabric during this time.  Once it has really worked its way through, it is then shrunk (as wool is wont to do) and it takes the fabric along with it creating lovely wrinkles and texture.  Then it is hand rubbed in hot soapy water.  Lastly it is thrown against a hard surface many times, then rinsed and dried.  After drying over night, the last 3 steps are repeated.

My fabric of choice is 100%  silk chiffon  and my wool of  choice is Merino. Since my pieces are usually touching the neck, I want to make sure it feels soft and luxurious and never itchy.  Other wools would not achieve such comfortable results.  The wool is the finest wool available (Merino) and in the lowest micron count for the softest feel.  I also use other materials such as silk roving, tencel, cottswold wool, mohair yarn, wool yarn, and novelty yarn, but minimally, and for embellishment.


Artist's statement:  I like to fabricate a thing that didn’t exist before I thought of it.  I prefer to use the crudest, most basic raw materials possible, so that I actually construct it.  I like my designs to resemble the chaos of nature.  How clouds form and make random patterns, and rocks and streams and fossils and snow.  Those patterns hold the most interest for my eyes, but my personality type is always pulling me towards order and structure.  Creating a piece that makes visual sense and has the fluidity of freeform is my everlasting challenge.


Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
Online shop: blindsquirrel
Blog:  feltinglessons
Languages spoken:  English



Nuno felted scarf by Terri Pike







First video in a series on Terri Pike's Felting Instructions:













Tags:  felting, felt, felted, wool, silk, nuno, laminated,scarves, scarf, shawl



No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails