Visit TAFA's new site!

Linda Friedman - Linda's Art Quilts

 



A life long love of the written word and art led me to dual Bachelor of Arts Degrees in English Language and Literature and Fine and Applied Arts from California State University at Los Angeles.  I have published poetry, have taught business writing in the academic/business sectors, and was the manager of a surgical fellowship program at the University of Southern California.

My commitment to education is equaled only by a passion for my family and for the arts.  Early on I was a freelance cartographer for the University of California, Los Angeles, sold miniature paintings to such establishments as “The Egg and the Eye”, a Los Angeles folk art gallery at that time, Robinson’s Department Store and Virginia’s Gift Shop at Knott’s Berry Farm.  I received a Presidential Recognition Award for my contributions to Los Angeles’ Allesandro Elementary School’s mural project, while I also taught arts to a group of gifted students.  I created an adult sized rocking horse, the plans of which grew into a small business operation and experienced a level of international success through such publications as Popular Mechanics.

All the while I immersed myself in quilting, sewing formal gowns and original designed clothing.  When not sewing, I was painting and had my work exhibited at California State University, Los Angeles, and the University of Southern California.  It wasn’t until the year 2000 that a colleague prevailed upon me to attend one, just one, local quilt guild meeting.  Henceforth an entirely new focus and passion began to consume my artistic applications.  I became part of a group that spearheaded the formation of an art quilt subgroup and I joined “Quilt Visions” of San Diego, Studio Art Quilt Associates, and Quilts on the Wall.  The rest is history. I was hooked.  Due to a set of very fortunate circumstance, I was able to exit the world of academia, move to Vista, California, where my entire hilltop home has become a studio filled with the wonder of color and fabric.

My art quilts have sold from Glendale, California to the Gulf shores of Florida with resulting commissioned requests and are exhibited at a local retreat center.  As with any passion, there are never sufficient hours in the day to quickly enough follow the muse into ever-new territories.  Every day, in some way, is dedicated to the arts with a special emphasis on the art quilt genre and fabric surface design.  My days are filled with designing, and stitching, and painting and dinking in the untold wonders of the world that keep creativity alive.  As a result of popular demand, I am now formulating class outlines and will teach various aspects of fiber arts commencing in August, 2010.


Artist Statement:  My mission is to create lasting works of art that elevate the spirit, bring joy and pleasure to others through visual and tactile interaction, and thereby spark the innate creativity in others.


Location: Vista, California, USA
Online shop: Linda's Art Quilts
Blog: Linda's Art Quilts
Twitter: LindasArtQuilts
Memberships:
   SAQA 
   Quilts on the Wall 
   Quilt Visions
Languages spoken:
English


 "Aspiration", Art Quilt by Linda Friedman
26 x 30 inches













Tags:  Quilt Artist, Fiber Artist, Fabric Surface Design,  Embellishments, Silk Screen,  Fabric Painting, Thread Painting, Embroidery

2 comments:

  1. Linda, your Art Quilts are wonderful. So nice to see them. WOW what a talented lady. Love how your share so much of your fab talent through awesome creations. hugs barbkeeling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are beautiful!
    Thank you for introducing them to me by commenting on one of my hubpage articles.
    Peggy W

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails