Visit TAFA's new site!

Ann Ridge Magic Stitches

 




I’m basically a contemporary quilt artist who has become more versatile using many of my hand painted, hand dyed and screen printed fabrics plus mixed media to make unusual yoga mat bags, household items, accessories and lampshades to supplement my income.  I’ve become accustomed to describing my work in southern Spain as a painter who ""paints"" with threads on fabric.  I have 3 sewing machines each with different capabilities to be adventurous with free machine embroidery.
-Ann Ridge 2010


Artist's Statement: I may use multiple techniques in one piece to make a personal statement.  From 2001 a series of 70 mixed media quilts called “Table Gems” were made not larger than 11 x 8” (28 x 20 cms).  Collage pieces were made by fusing, painting, laminating paper, appliqué, melting plastic, or incorporating embroidered fragments to be finally quilted by hand or machine.  I combine found materials, repeat elements, a wealth of surface treatments to produce intricate works. From these stem the much larger textural quilted objects that recalled China.  Current work reflects southern Spain in 12 x 12” (30 x 30 cm) format and will do for some time except commissions allow for larger pieces.
I now sell from  my home.  Because I make home made jams, marmalades and chutneys I have tasting sessions in my home and people often end up buying small textile items, too.  They also see a small selection of art pieces in my workshop.

You can also find my work at various Arts and Crafts market sites in Andalucia, including Galeria Mar Bella and nadfas-de la frontera.



Location: Marbella, Málaga, Spain
Memberships:
   SAQA
Languages spoken: English, Spanish, German



"Where to Now", Art quilt by Ann Ridges





Tags: Layered forms and imagery, collage, multiple techniques and mediums, patterns, lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails