Visit TAFA's new site!

LaTouchables






I design mostly body adornment for the modern woman of any age. Much of my work is inspired by nature, history, and culture. I want to create things that are affordable, and become a natural part of the daily wardrobe. Color, texture, wearability...this all plays a role in how it goes in the studio, and of course intuition plays a huge role. That's why most everything is OOAK. (One of a kind)

I like to use vintage and antique cloths in my pieces along with buttons, and beads from around the world. I was lucky to get some Bedouin embroidery dating back from the mid-20th-century, and earlier. My work is always in a process of growth. There are techniques to improve on, designs that architectually need brain-storming, from idea to finished piece, while still keeping the integrity of the original impulse.

I get emotional about hand-stitching, stains, signs of the human touch, beautiful worn textures, and quality. This means I love materials like silk, cotton, linen, bakelite, horn, mudcloth... and I am continually searching, experimenting, and opening up to the new. I see it as a long-term love-affair with developing a soft-sculpture body adornment that crosses genres. My hope is to take the raw materials and make something worthy of showing off their beauty, whether they are a hundred years old or straight off the bolt.

In the long run, I'd like to have a broader audience, and a group of fellow fiber-addicts to get that community dynamic. Of course I'd like to sell more and know that something I make will be worn by someone somewhere. This gives me the impetus to create more, and thus refine my skills.

I'm glad to have found TAFA with the chance to make new friends and contacts.


Location: Germany, Europe
Online shop: LaTouchables
Blog: latouchablesbagsandthings
Languages spoken: English, German



Adornment for the woman of the modern age by LaTouchables.












Tags: body adornment, necklace, africa, levantine, vintage, antique, tribal, cuff, cloth, bead

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails