Visit TAFA's new site!

Alison Yule Textiles



I'm an award winning textile designer, hand weaving fabrics for interiors and apparel.  I'm in love with weaving and have been passionate about it since I was 8 years old!

Hallmarks of my work are rich textures, unusual colour combinations and simple clean designs.  Products can include cushions, wall panels, window panels, throws, rugs and fabric lengths.  If you're looking for some home detailing that is unique to you then give me a call or email.

Artist's Statement:   I create art pieces for the wall in my hand woven fabrics, that fuse contemporary design with traditional fibres and techniques.  Each piece is richly textured, but with a simplicity of design that sits very comfortably in a contemporary setting

Passionate about using natural fibres with simple, traditional weaves, I like to give the pieces impact by incorporating areas of texture and unusual colour combinations.  At present, I am working with plain weave (the simplest weave construction), weaving with over twisted yarns to give areas of pile or using very textured yarns in areas of inlay over the plain weave, to produce my decorative wall panels. 

My inspiration can come from almost anywhere, but I'm particularly drawn to nature and my local landscapes.  Plants and flowers, whether exotic or grown locally have always excited me, and the challenges of transferring a 3 dimensional form into, what is essentially, a 2 dimensional canvas are what I thrive on!

Recently, I have been exploring the use of plain weave with linen and inlayed texture, dyeing my yarns to give very ethereal lighting effects, inspired by the light on water and through foliage, at different times of the day or night!  These will be woven into  decorative, but functional pieces to be displayed in windows or as room dividers.

Other concepts I'm exploring are the use of plain weave and texture to produce representations of portraits as simple, woven line drawings of the body or as simple comic like images of the face.


Location:  Willington, Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Online shop:  alison yule textiles
Blogs:
Other social media:  
Memberships:
   Textile Society
   EMTEX
   Design Factory
 Languages spoken: 
English



Euonymus Panel 3 (wool with textured wool detail)
Weaving by Alison Yule Textiles









Tags: hand woven fabrics, contemporary woven fabrics, weave, woven art, contemporary woven art, hand weaving, wool fabrics

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails