Visit TAFA's new site!

Peggy Brown

"The Landscape Within", Art Quilt by Peggy Brown




Even though I paint and quilt for myself - for the challenge and joy of it - I know that visual art must be seen to be heard and true fulfillment comes when someone else unites with my vision and becomes a part of my marks on paper or fabric.

What began as a hobby around 40 years ago soon became an obsession and then a profession as my work began receiving recognition in Juried Exhibitions.  This led to gallery representation  and purchase by many public and private collectors.  Cheered on by my husband, Jim, and our three sons, I participated and sold in quite a few of the major Art Fairs and Festivals.  I have been asked  to demonstrate and  teach many workshops in the United States and Canada. I no longer travel to exhibit and sell, but my work is shown in several galleries, museums and on my web site:  www.peggybrownart.com.


Artist's statement:  My studio time is divided between "paintings on paper" and my newer obsession, "paintings on fabric."  I approach my art quilts from the viewpoint of a watercolor artist and use the same media and methods I used for years when painting on paper.  

To begin, I wet the substrate, then freely brush on paint letting the pigments mingle and follow their personal paths as they dry.  This process is repeated several times for more depth and richness.  After drying the marks on the paper or fabric inspire and help me choose a way to continue and complete the image.  

My goal is to take a free-flowing start; and using collage, overlays of more pigment and drawing, compose a well-designed finish.   At times, using treated fabric, I make inkjet transfers from my original paintings, then reconstruct the transfers into a new design. I try to express images that are on, above and below the surface.  By keeping each painted layer transparent, I invite the viewer to follow as I work and perceive the process from tentative beginnings to the final touch.  Some of my beginnings become non-objective abstracts, some become landscapes or still life.


Location:  Nashville, Indiana, USA
Memberships: 
   Studio Art Quilt Associates
   Surface Design Association
   International Quilting Association
Languages spoken:  English



"Another Form", Art Quilt by Peggy Brown









Tags:  painting, quilting, fiber art, surface design, abstract, landscapes

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails