Visit TAFA's new site!

Stitching Life

http://stitchinglife.com



I am a textile artist working full-time from home in the UK. I work entirely by hand, making art quilts and small stitched cloths from mainly recycled materials such as old linens and clothing. I dye most of my fabrics and threads myself and occasionally sell hand-dyed materials.


Artist's statement:  Although my formal art training is in paint, I prefer the tactile quality of textiles as a medium of expression. Cloth is with us throughout our lives, a constant presence that touches us, both literally and figuratively. Our very first experience following our birth is that of being wrapped in a cloth; as preparation for the grave, we are wrapped in a shroud.

I choose to work by hand because I love the feel of the needle and thread through cloth, and I like to feel the way the cloth is responding to stitch. I think of the process of stitching as a quiet conversation between myself, the needle and thread and the cloth itself. The act of piecing scraps of cloth together is a metaphor for the way our lives are composed of brief moments joined together. I also think of the many women before me who have sat quietly and stitched, either for duty or for pleasure. I prefer in general to work with natural materials - linen, cotton, silk, wool - and I remain mindful that these were once part of living organisms. I try to remain respectful to the cloth, to the process and to tradition.
-Karen Turner


Location:  East Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Blog:  Stitching Life
Online shop:  stitchinglife
Languages spoken:  English



"Midnight", Art Quilt by Stitching Life









Tags:  patchwork, applique, embroidery, quilting, cloth, thread, stitch, (by) hand, abstract

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Rachel. It's good to join you all here.

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails