Visit TAFA's new site!

Nells Embroidery




I am a contemporary fibre artist. I have a love of machine and hand embroidery. For my artwork I essentially draw and paint with thread, using the needle as a pencil and the fabric as my canvas. Combining a variety of threads, fabrics and mediums to create works of two or three dimensional art. I have challenged myself to explore the use of basic straight and zig zag stitch to create cloth with stitch only...with some help from a water soluble fabric! Using this technique and exploring different stitch tensions, I can create 3 dimensional artwork using only thread. Whatever the technique or medium, the detail, design and texture, I always make my artwork unique.

Artist's Statement:  My love of all things fabric and stitch related comes from a childhood spent in the sewing room with my mum. As a result, I have been designing, dressmaking and embroidering for as long as I can remember. Now I like to think of myself as a fabric artist as this fits well with my chosen techniques.

I completed my HND and BA Hons in Fashion and Textile Design in the UK.  During this time, I developed my love of machine embroidery and continued over the years to experiment whenever I could.

In the Summer of 2005 I completed my City & Guilds Level 3 Machine Embroidery Course which helped me to take my ‘playing’ and ‘experimenting’ to a higher level. Shortly after, I moved from the UK to Vancouver, Canada, where I am continuing to develop my design work and creativity, whilst finding new and abundant sources of inspiration.

I am a purist when it comes to my art work. I design and create all my own patterns and everything must include some form of embroidery. I take a lot of photographs which I often refer to for inspiration.

I am stimulated and inspired by my environment, people, cultures, travels, textures and fabrics. All of which I fuse together to create and develop my own style of stitching and art. I like to experiment with unusual materials, pushing the boundaries of design, my imagination, and of course my sewing machine!



Location:  North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Online shop:  nellsembroidery
Memberships:
Languages spoken:  English

Manipulated wall hanging using only straight stitch and water soluble fabric. 
Detail, Nells Embroidery.













Tags:  embroidery, Machine embroidery, beading, artwork, Fabric, Textile, Texture, Needle arts, Fiber Arts, Mixed media

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails