Visit TAFA's new site!

Katy Korkos Studio



I'm a prolific artist who loves to find a way to communicate with others through my work.  I'm looking for collectors and other artists who find that my work speaks to them. The happiest times of my life are when I'm in the studio making something and when I'm out hiking in the mountains getting inspiration to create.

My work is shown at The Johnsons Gallery, Madrid, New Mexico.

Artist's Statement:   Katy Korkos is a long-time Los Alamos resident, and has shown her work regularly throughout New Mexico as well as throughout the United States since the mid-1990s.

Her primary medium is fiber, which encompasses paper as well as textiles. Many of her pieces can be called studio or art quilts, with roots in traditional quilting. Her works on paper are primarily collage or assemblage pieces.

The common theme among much of Katy's recent work is the artist’s fascination with the iconography of birds.

“I often use birds as a design motif in my work because of all the things they symbolize to me: expressiveness, song, flight, beauty, freedom, cages, nesting, the potential in an egg, living in the trees, fragility and  endurance,” Korkos says.


Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA
Online Stores: Katy Korkos
Blog: Katy Korkos
Memberships:
   Studio Art Quilt Associates
   Fuller Lodge Art Center
   Surface Design Association
Languages spoken: English, German, Italian


"Strata" by Katy Korkos


Tags:  layers, hand-dyed, texture, stitches, recycled, worn, birds, cloth, light, collage

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails