Visit TAFA's new site!

MemphisWeaver





MemphisWeaver is where form meets function. My handwoven clothing and accessories will not only keep you warm and comfortable but will also mark a stylish and contemporary woman. The creative side of you will delight in writing and sketching your innermost thoughts and wildest dreams in my hand bound blank books

Yes, weaving and hand bound books go hand in hand. The rhythmic flow of the shuttle from side to side mimics the rhythmic movement of carrying the threads along the spine of a beautifully constructed book. My weaving began in 1980 when I finished my work in museum studies, and instead of heading to a curator's workbench, I headed to the weaving studio, and I have stayed there ever since! My work in book arts stemmed from a life long love of reading. In 1985 I gave myself a gift of an art retreat with one of the foremost book artists in the world. I saw how inter-related weaving and the book arts were and I have never looked back.

In both weaving and book arts, I constantly look for new materials, new forms, and new ways to express my love of both. My work continues to change and evolve, but in my handcrafted products you will always find something you will love to use for a very long time.


My work can be found at WinterArts, a seasonal gallery of fine handcrafted items by local artists in the Memphis area. The gallery is open twice a year from Thanksgiving through Christmas, and also for two weeks before Mother's Day.  Check the website for locations, as it varies from year to year: Winter Arts Memphis.  My work can also be purchased year round at the gift shop at the Memphis Brooks Museum during museum hours:  Brooks Museum.
-Felicitas  Sloves


Artist's statement:  Drawn by the colors and textures of yarns, I began weaving on a traditional floor loom in 1980.  My early pieces included original design clothing and accessories woven from natural wool fibers.  A move from New Jersey to Memphis in 2000 inspired a new direction in weaving.  Natural cotton and silk, and more recently sustainable fibers such as bamboo and tencel became my fibers of choice.  Not only do the fibers drape beautifully and feel luxurious, they also are easily replenish-able with little need for toxins to promote growth. My belief in stewardship of our Earth extends into  my work with hand bound books as I often incorporate hand made paper from natural products.

The Judaic concept of hiddur mitzvah has always been a part of my artistic life. Literally, the Hebrew phrase can be translated as “to make a good deed beautiful”. The use of textiles with a thought toward repairing the Earth can be viewed as a good deed, and to create beautiful handwoven textiles fulfills the directive issued by hiddur mitzvah.  As an artist, I believe that this concept can be applied to all manners of not only religious worship, but also by extension into one’s personal life.


Location:  Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Online shop:  memphisweaver
Blog:  memphisweaver
Memberships:
   Tennessee Association of Craft Artists
   Memphis Association of Craft Artists
   Handweavers Guild of America
Languages spoken:  English, Dutch


Handwoven Scarf by MemphisWeaver

Handbound Books by MemphisWeaver












Tags:  Handweaving, Clothing, Accessories, Hand bound book, Journal, Sketchbook, Sustainable, Memphis, Tennessee, Scarves

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails