Visit TAFA's new site!

Jane Deane, Naturally




I am a textile designer producing a range of items from dyed fibres for handspinners, through handspun yarns, to finished woven  items.  I teach spinning, natural dyeing and weaving throughout the UK and abroad and am co-author, with Alison Daykin, of Creative Spinning.

I love textiles, creating them, turning fibre into yarn, yarn into beautiful coloured skeins, coloured skeins into woven items. A beautifully presented feast will not always make my mouth water, but a basket of beautifully coloured wool will have me drooling in seconds!

I have a studio at the Duchy Square Centre for Creativity,  and work from there and from home. My work has been exhibited in many galleries in the UK and is currently in the Duchy Square Gallery Shop and The Art Chapel, Moretonhampstead, Devon.


Artist's statement:  In addition to my passion for creating textiles and passing on my skills, I seek to minimise the negative impact I have on the environment. I have changed my practice to using natural dyes, a restricted range of mordants and using my skills and knowledge of the dyestuffs and colours to create the effects I want rather than relying on a chemical to do it for me. I fully realise that 'natural' does not necessarily equate to 'safe' so am cautious about my materials, processes and techniques.

I use natural fibres and am actively concerned with the current Campaign for Wool, a movement supporting the greater use of wool and the reduction of synthetic fibres in the environment.


Location:  United Kingdom
Memberships/Organizations:
   Textile Forum South West
   Crafts Council
Other Social Media:  Linked In
Languages spoken:  English


Textile Designs by Jane Deane of Naturally



Tags:  spindle, dyepot, indigo, warp, weft, silkworm, spinning wheel, carders, woolcombs, shuttle



No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails