Visit TAFA's new site!

Terri Stegmiller

"Shades of Red" by Terri Stegmiller
http://terristegmiller.com


I am a mixed-media textile artist.  My main focus is art quilting and I usually create with a representational style, although I sometimes will play with abstract styles as well.

Although I didn't always enjoy all steps of quilting, I now find I enjoy each step of the process--the first sketches, the fabric choices, the textural stitching, and the glorious color.  I will even look forward to sitting down and hand stitching on a binding.

I have no formal art degree.  All of my experience comes from my own experimentation, practice, and a few online classes.  Some of my favorite subjects in my art are female faces, flowers, birds, and cats.

I live in Mandan, North Dakota, and am married to a wonderful and supporting husband, have one grown son, and am "mom" to several cats.  My other interests include painting, reading, bird watching, and flower gardening.

I am author of the book Creative Paper Quilts: Applique, Embellishment, Patchwork, Piecework; co-author of Creative Ways with Fibre & Stitch, and co-Author of Creative Ways with Books and Journals.  I teach online through Three Creative Studios.

Artist's Statement:  Time honored traditional quilting processes have crashed head on with new and innovative mixed-media techniques.  Art quilting is in full swing and I’m embracing it whole-heartedly.  I am enraptured with each step of the process--the first sketches, the fabric choices, the textural stitching, and the glorious color.

The visual texture of commercially printed fabrics along with the additional quilted texture is a springboard for my work.   I have a love affair with color and enjoy using many fabrics to portray a single color thought.  


Location:  Mandan, North Dakota, USA
Online stores: Etsy, Three Creative Studios 
Blog: StegArt
Memberships:
   SAQA - Studio Art Quilt Associates
   SDA - Surface Design Association
   Bismarck Art and Gallery Association
Social Media:  Twitter, Facebook
Language spoken: English


"Waiting" by Terri Stegmiller






Books by Terri:





Tags:  fabric, quilt, art, texture, stitch, mixed media, color, design, art quilts, textile art

1 comment:

  1. Great profile, Terri -- and how nice to see a lot of your work. As always, I'm charmed by your art.

    ReplyDelete

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails