Visit TAFA's new site!

Coco Kulkarni



I have been collecting art for a long time.  All sorts of art:: paintings (oil, water, pastels, ink), sculpture (wood, metal, stone), tribal drawings (some painted on cow dung!), textiles, and even photographs.

The antique textiles I have belong to one particular region in India called Kutch. Many of them are over 70 to 90 years old.  Most of them are in excellent condition. Some are embroidered and some are appliqued.  There's a rich variety of colours, motifs and techniques. All beautiful!

My love of fabrics inspired me to make and sell handbags on Etsy.  I use wool, cashmere, leather, cottons, and some blends to make handbags with clean contemporary lines and beautiful patterned fabrics. I don't use patterns, and I stay clear of 'designer' fabrics. I free cut all my bags, so they're never really the same size or shape. My latest handbags are made from hand spun, hand loomed cottons (khadi) from India, and some have hand blocked prints on them.


Location:  Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Online shops:  ThreadsOfOld
Languages spoken:  English


Ganesh, Embroidered detail of a vintage textile from Kutch, India








Coco Bags














Tags:  Vintage, ethnic, India, Kutch, Gujarat, wall hanging, folk embroidery, folk applique, collections, Saurashtra, bag, purse, khadi



No comments:

Post a Comment

“Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction,- a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse”
-Henry David Thoreau

In our case, it would be the needle or other fiber tool. Drive it home! And, we all thank you for your words, left here to these good folks. Invoke your Muse!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails